Do you notice your dog constantly begging or licking their lips for people food? If so, you may be looking for new exciting treats for them that have “people food” in them. Try treats with healthy vegetables! Not only are vegetables filled with vitamins and minerals, but the non-starchy vegetables are low in calories and fat and provide fiber for healthy digestion.
Plus, most dogs love vegetables and adding them to your dog’s diet can be a new and fun way to provide many health benefits. However, certain vegetables are definitely more suitable for dogs than others. We will give you the 411 on the health benefits of vegetables, which ones you should feed your pup, and our top 5 favorite dog treats made with vegetables!
Table Of Contents
Benefits of Vegetables for Dogs
Fresh vegetables can add a variety of nutritional value to your dog’s diet. Whether you feed your pup kibble, raw, or wet food, they might need the nutritional benefits vegetables have to offer. As wholesome as their food might sound, vegetables are a great source of protein, essential fatty acids, phytonutrients, antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals and much more. Here are some nutritional benefits vegetable provide for dogs:
Vegetables provide a ton of great vitamins for your dog’s body, including:
- B Vitamins- supports healthy coat and fur, manages weight, reduces allergies and excessive shedding.
- Vitamin C and co-factors – dogs make their own vitamin C, but need the co-factors that help the body absorb and use it.
- Vitamin A, E, and K- These vitamins help with healthy immune and cell function, vision, metabolism, and overall health.
Leafy green vegetables contain important minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Vegetables like alfalfa and seaweed are also great sources of minerals. However, make sure these foods are organic and not produced with synthetic fertilizers.
Omega-3 reduces inflammation and supports the brain and central nervous system, as well as digestion, breathing, reproduction, and immunity. It can also help to slow degeneration and aging. Sometimes dogs can have too much Omega-6, which can impair some of their function, so balancing their diet with Omega-3 is very important.
While many pet owners feed their pup fish oils, they can occasionally turn rancid easily, so feeding plant-based Omega-3’s like phytoplankton is a good way to provide your pup with essential fatty acids.
Unlike people who eat a diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants, a lot of dog commercial foods only contain a minimal number of antioxidants. Antioxidants can provide may benefits including immune support, protection from environmental toxins, and may even help pets live longer. Other benefits could include:
- Prevention of dry, flaky skin and coat
- Helps prevent free radical generation
- Supplies oxygen to the blood, which is carried to the brain, heart, and other organs
- Growth and proper digestion
We all know how crucial water is to our bodies and dogs are no different. Water provides a ton of important health benefits to our pets, so it’s important they get the right amount of water daily for their overall well-being. Benefits of water for your pet include:
- Digestion of food, both dry and wet
- Water helps the body to absorb essential nutrients
- Helps pets joints, which makes movement easier
- Keeps dogs hydrated, so your pet does not become dehydrated, which is a serious danger
Fiber is an amazing yet often overlooked nutrient for pets. There are a ton of benefits fiber provides for our pets. Without it, your dog could suffer from painful effects. Some of the benefits include:
- Normalizes stools – aids in digestion to soften stools to reduce constipation or diarrhea
- Helps maintain weight – dogs feel full even with a smaller meal
- Increases energy levels
7 Safe, Healthy Vegetables for Dogs
Asparagus is high in fiber and contains a lot of vitamins. It’s also a great source of potassium. Make sure if feed your pet asparagus that you cut it up into smaller pieces to prevent any choking hazards. Not only can dogs enjoy this vegetable, but they are also safe for cats.
Next, carrots are low in calories, high in fiber, and great for your pet’s teeth. The crunchiness not only helps cleans their teeth, but provides a fun texture for them to chew on. They also contain beta-carotene, which helps maintain healthy skin and eye health.
Cucumber contain vitamins K, C, and magnesium. They also contain little carbohydrates and fats, which makes them a great snack for overweight pets. Cucumbers can also help reduce blood pressure and freshen your pet’s breath.
Peas offer a ton of great benefits such as vitamin B, thiamin, and potassium. All of which can boost energy levels and improve bone health for pets. Adding peas to your dog’s diet can be a tasty treat to add texture and sweetness.
Full of fiber, pumpkin is great for your dog’s health. It helps pets suffering from both constipation and diarrhea. Furthermore, it is rich in vitamins and minerals and is a great source of water.
If you’re looking for a super food that contains almost every vitamin and mineral, spinach is the perfect food for that. It helps with all areas of your pet’s health for their overall well-being. However, be careful not to give large amount as it can be harmful to their kidneys.
Sweet potato offers dogs fiber, water, and digestive nutrients. They also offer vitamins, thiamine, niacin, and even copper. Sweet potatoes are much more beneficial than white potatoes because they contain a lot more nutrients.
Top 5 Dog Treats Made with Vegetables
1. Milo’s Kitchen Homestyle Chicken with Wild Rice & Spring Vegetable Dog Treat
Delight your furry friend with the taste of Milo’s Kitchen Chicken, Rice, and Spring Vegetable Dog Treats. They are made with all-natural chicken and wholesome, flavorful vegetables. There are no by-products or artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors. You’ll feel good about giving your dog these treats because they are high in protein. Vegetables found in this recipe include carrots and green beans. Both of which provide nutritional benefits for dogs.
Plus, they are great for rewarding or training your pup. You can either serve them whole for larger dogs or break them into smaller pieces for smaller dogs and puppies. Set tails wagging with these nutritional yummy treats!
- No meat by-products
- High in protein
- Made in the USA in certified facilities
- Contain all-natural ingredients with nutritional benefits like antioxidants and vitamins
- Perfect for all dogs of all sizes and provides a soft texture
2. Plato Farmer’s Market Grain Free Dog Treats
Your dog will love Plato Farmers Market Dog Treats. Dogs love salmon, which is why this is the perfect treat for them. Each and every treat contain probiotics to help maintain a healthy digestive system. Furthermore, they are made with market-fresh veggies, slow roasted, and oh so tasty! There are no artificial flavors, colors, synthetic preservatives, or GMO’s. Each bite will give your dog nutritional benefits so you don’t need to worry about giving your pup harmful ingredients.
Additionally, Plato Farmer’s Market has a variety of different flavors for your dog to enjoy! From salmon to chicken to duck, your dog will be spoiled with all of these tasty options. They are made in the USA and provide all-natural ingredients for healthy digestion and overall health. Treat your pup to these tasty one-of-a-kind snacks!
- Farm-fresh vegetables to support a healthy gastrointestinal tract
- Natural ingredients, fortified with antioxidants
- Probiotics for digestive health
- Grain-free recipe with no artificial colors, flavors, synthetic preservatives, GMO’s, meat by-products or meals
- Slow roasted for a delicious taste that’s great for dogs of all sizes
3. Blue Ridge Naturals Sweet Tater Fries
Next, Blue Ridge Naturals Sweet Tater Fries are a soft, chewy treat your pup will be drooling for! They are infused with real beef broth for a naturally sweet savory taste. Made with a single ingredient, sweet potatoes, these treats are loaded with natural vitamins and minerals. These fun, fry shaped treats will deliver vitamins A and C, and many more nutrients vegetables have to offer. Not only is it nutritional, but it has a chewy texture your dog will love chomping down on to satisfy their chewing instincts!
- Nutritious, delicious dried sweet potato dog treats made in the USA
- Irresistibly chewy, flavorful treats that keep your dog happy and entertained
- For dogs of all sizes
- Filled with vitamins A and C, beta carotene, iron and more
- Great for dogs with food allergies
4. Old Mother Hubbard Bitz Natural Crunchy Dog Training Treats
Made with quality ingredients, Old Mother Hubbard Bitz Natural Crunchy Dog Treats provide dogs with wholesome healthy snacks. These treats are baked with real cheddar cheese, savory chicken, and dried rosemary. They are made in the USA and has been trusted for over 90 years. There are no artificial ingredients and are great for training or rewarding your dog.
Other ingredients in these treats include oatmeal, turmeric, paprika extracts, natural chicken flavor, spinach, wheat bran, and whole wheat flour. Reward your pup with these delicious and healthy treats and say goodbye to treats with no nutritional value.
- Natural oven-baked small and crunchy biscuits to train or reward your pup
- Made with wholesome ingredients like oatmeal, chicken, spinach and eggs
- Only 2 calories each for those pups who might be carrying a little extra weight
- Naturally preserved with vitamin E
5. Pet Products Pegetables Dental Chews
Last but not least, Pet Products Pegetables Dental Chews are made with vegetable such as carrots, sweet potato, and peas. They are high in antioxidants, complex carbohydrates, omega fatty acids, amino acids, protein, and much more! The unique shape is made to remove plaque and tartar every time your dog chews on one. Additionally, since they are made from vegetales, they are safe and highly digestible. What more could you ask for?
They are made in the USA and made with only safe and natural ingredients. They are low-fat, provide essential vitamins and minerals, and promote good health. The texture encourages proper dental hygiene and act as a doggie toothbrush. Your pup will love these unique, fun shaped, tasty treats!
- Natural chews – carrot, sweet potato, and peas for a healthy treat
- Packed with antioxidants, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and more
- Made without corn, wheat, grain, or gluten
- The unique shape is designed to remove plaque and tartar
- Scientifically formulated and made in the USA