How to Choose the Best Dog Door
All dogs want to go outside to exercise, sunbathe, socialize, or just get some fresh air. Active dogs who are forced to remain inside may start to have anxiety and destructive behavior problems. In these circumstances, an automatic dog door may be the right choice.
However, finding the right doggy door can be challenging. Pet owners want to make sure to get one that is easy to get in and out so dogs don’t start to have urinary problems. Here are some key factors of getting the best one to fit the lifestyle for you and your dog.
Just like humans, dog can gain and lose weight. An automatic dog door should be just the right size for your dog, even a little bigger in case they gain a few pounds. You should pick one that has a reasonable height and width that allows your dog to fit even when they grow older.
Keeping Strays Out –
The last thing pet owners want when having a dog door is letting stray animals in. This could cause unwanted fleas or diseases that your dog could catch. Additionally, they could make a mess in your home by destroying furniture. When looking for an automatic dog door, make sure to get one that has identification for your pets only. This will eliminate animals like foxes or raccoons coming into your house and damaging your belongings.
Blocking Cold/Hot Weather –
Weather climates may be another worry on your list, especially during winter. No one wants the cold weather to interfere in their home. It’s a waste of money and energy as well. It can also be an issue in the summertime when you don’t want the cool air to leak outside. This is why you should look for magnetic closing door systems that won’t allow air to leave or come inside.
Lastly, you will want a strong durable door that will last against your dog’s everyday routine. Consider a waterproof doggy door for rainy days. Just remember, more durable and better materials will cost more than those with less durable material.
Top 10 Automatic Dog Doors in 2018
1. PetSafe Electronic Smart Door –
This automatic dog door lets you control the access of your pet. No other animal besides your pet wearing the SmartKey can pass through the SmartDoor. Whenever your pet is near the door, the SmartKey will automatically unlock the door allowing your pet to enter or leave your home whenever they want.
- LED Indicators: Alerts you when door is opening.
- Sensitivity Control: Promotes efficiency of the door.
- Multiple Pets: Programmable for up to 5 pets with SmartKeys.
- Waterproof: Door and SmartKey will be able to withstand rain or snow.
2. Namsan Magnetic Automatic Pet Screen Door –
Your pet will be able to enjoy the outdoors as much as they like with the Namsan Magnetic Automatic Pet Screen Door. You can install this door in a screen door, a window, or other areas in your house with screens. It’s easy to install and your pet can easily push the door open. This door is suited for all pets up to medium and large sized dogs.
- Durable and self-closing screen door.
- Can also be used for cats or other pets.
- Easy to install.
- Fits all door and window screens.
3. ABZON Pet Screen Door –
The time has come for you to stop being a doorman for your pup. The ABZON Pet Screen Door lets dogs and cats enter and exit freely without any other animal or insect coming into your home. It has a durable steel wire screen with a flexible sliding lock. It’s easy to install and your pet will learn how to use it instantly. Its best suitable for small dogs and cats.
- Magnets on the door flap for a strong connection.
- Safe and simple design that’s easy for your pet to use.
- Durable and steady material that will last.
- Suitable for small pets
4. Enjoying Pet Screen Door for Doorway Automatic Locking –
The Enjoying Pet Screen Door is designed for your pup to have a safe entrance and exit from your home. The inside door is jointed securely with the dog frame. The doorway also has slippery material that will not scratch or harm your pet when they walk through the doorway. Your pet will be able to easily push open the door with the flexible hinges.
- Magnetic open and close.
- Lockable pet screen door to control the security.
- Designed for small dogs, large dogs, cats, and even rabbits.
5. ABC Pet Product Dog Door –
With the ABC Pet Product Dog Door, you will be able to control your dog’s access to the outdoors. The unique design makes it easy for your dog to leave and enter with magnetic parts to secure the door. The door will close automatically after your dog goes through so no other insect or animal can enter. This can be placed in sliding doors, glass door windows, panels, and balconies.
- Door frame is made with durable material resistant to pet chaos.
- Dog door closes automatically.
- Suitable for cats and small to medium sized dogs.
- Provides UV Protection.
6. SureFlap Microchip Pet Door –
Dog doors are designed to let your dog in and out on their own without worrying about letting unwanted animals in your home. And one of these doors is the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door. This is built to be suited for large cats and small dogs. A unique thing about this doggy door is that is can store up to 32 pets in its system. This makes it a great dog door for a household with multiple pets. It’s easy to install and will allow your pet to access it easily.
- 4 C cell batteries
- Indicator light when battery power is low
- Can be installed anywhere with its design
- Program to lock and unlock door at specific times
- Also works with SureFlap collar
7. Perfect Pet Energy Efficient Dog Door –
This dog door is great for cutting the cost of energy. The innovative double vinyl flap design creates energy efficient air pocket for great insulation. Plus, it’s an all-weather device and remains functional in all conditions.
- Adjustable frame.
- Sturdy and durable material.
- Molded plastic for energy efficiency.
8. PetSafe Extreme Weather Door –
Worried about the harsh weather effecting your doggy door? Put your worries away because the PetSafe Extreme Weather Door saves energy while keeping the outside air out of your home. Your dog will still have the freedom it wants without the door being damaged by rain, snow, or sleet. Even better, you can get it designed to match the color of your door or window décor.
- Insulated 3-flap system that is great for hot or cold weather.
- Works for pets up to 100 pounds.
- Affordable price.
- Available is small, medium, and large sizes.
9. Endura Flap Wall Mount Pet Door –
The Endura Flap Wall Mount Pet Door is an award-winning automatic dog door. It is said to be one of the most energy efficient wall door on the market. Its wind resistant and comes with a 10-year warranty. Its flexible, durable, and environmentally friendly.
- Clip lock for easy use to close the door when not in use.
- Big opening for larger dog breeds.
- Can be installed in the siding or other areas of your home.
- All weather durability.
10. High Tech Pet Sliding Glass Door –
The High-Tech Pet Sliding Glass Door is fully automatic and lets your dog have access to the outdoors and indoors while intruder animals remain outside. It has an extra-large door for cats and dogs that weigh up to 100 pounds. It easily fits into any door or window.
- High quality material.
- 4-way control with different modes.
- MS-4 ultrasonic collar.
- Sensing system for only your pet to access the door.