If you are a pet lover who just can’t stand the thought of leaving your dog at home, you are probably thinking of taking your dog on vacation with you. Traveling can be very stressful, especially with a doggy companion. However, were here to help you. First, and most importantly, finding a pet-friendly vacation spot. We will provide you with the 7 best places you and your dog will love!
In fact, it doesn’t stop there! We will also give you a ton of tips to help make your vacation less stressful and more fun. Whether you want to catch some sun on the beach, enjoy a breathtaking hike, or travel to your dream spot, there are dog friendly destinations that are perfect for you and your pup! So, pack your bags, and Fido’s too, and let the adventure begin!
Pros of Traveling with Your Pup
Your pet is a beloved member of your family, so you want to bring them along for the fun, right? Here are some advantages of bringing your dog on a pet-friendly vacation:
- Won’t have to worry about leaving them at a kennel or with someone else
- Your dog will feel comfortable with your family and won’t get stressed being left without their caretakers
- A lot of more bonding time and extra attention because of looser schedules and no stress of school or work
- Your pup will also be able to enjoy new experiences, sights, and smells
- Pets make trips more fun – turn kids away from electronic devices
Cons of Traveling with Your Pup
Along with benefits of taking your pup on vacation, there are also negatives. Knowing the cons of traveling with your dog will help you to plan better or maybe change your mind if it’s not the right thing for you and your pet. Here are some few things to consider before making your decision:
- Accommodations may be more difficult since some hotels, motels, restaurants, and other places may not allow pets
- Pets might get car sick when traveling for a long time
- You will need to pack extra items for your dog, so if space is an issue it could get quite cramped
- You’ll need to stop more often for bathroom breaks and walks, which could also be an advantage if you’ve been sitting in the car for hours.
- Flying could be challenging with the stress of a confined space
- Extra fees for parks or other spots may occur for pets
Packing the Essentials
In case of emergencies, you should keep a copy of all vaccination records in your doggy bag that will have all of the important information you need. If you are traveling to another country, you should check ahead and find out the vaccination requirements for the country you’ll be visiting.
Toys, Toys, and More Toys
Don’t forget the fun stuff! If your pup is stressed when being away from home, ease their discomfort by bringing their favorite toys from home. This will give them a familiar smell and chew toys will help calm their anxiety. Also, if there is some downtime or your waiting, playing with your pup is great bonding and will make things way more fun!
Click here to check out our other article on the best pet toys to take to the beach!
Collar and Leash
Taking your pup out for bathroom breaks must include them wearing a collar and leash. (Don’t forget poop bags!) Also, different places have different smells, which may be hard to resist and your pup can escape before you can get their attention.
Ruffwear – Flat Out Hand-Held or Waist-Worn Dog Leash
- The Flat Out Leash is constructed using Ruffwear-designed Tubelok webbing that makes it great for durability and design aesthetics, resulting in a leash that’s stylish and will last a lifetime.
- Features the Ruffwear-designed Talon Clip that provides a strong and secure attachment. Its design allows quick and easy one-handed attachment.
- Includes an accessory loop that allows you to conveniently carry pickup bags or other small clip-on items you may need when out with your dog.
- The adjustable, padded handle includes an aluminum Talon Hook that makes it easily adjustable. It can be hand-held, waist-worn, or secured around a tree or a post for stops.
- Comes in a variety of outdoors-inspired patterns and colors so that you can connect with your favorite parts of the great outdoors.
Unfortunately, traveling can be chaos, which means you and your pup might get separated. If that were to happen, be sure he has an up to date tag with an emergency phone number. If you are traveling with a cell phone, this is the perfect number for your dog’s tag.
First Aid Kit
You can buy doggy first aid kits, or if you have time you can put together your own. Some important items to add are tweezers to remove ticks, eye wash, gauze bandages, adhesive tape, scissors, and antiseptic moist wipes.
New Market Squared Pet First Aid Kit for Dogs & Cats
- Help your pets by carrying a first aid kit for your pup with you wherever you go. Immediately attend to injuries until they can be seen by your veterinarian.
- includes bandages, gauze, gloves, antiseptic and more. This kit can also be used for human injuries and immediate first aid.
- Instructions and guide book included so you know what to do in case of an emergency or accident with your cat or dog.
- Keep everything organized so that you can find what you need quickly. Clear vinyl pockets allow you to see tools instantly.
- Take it anywhere you go, also keep one in your home so that you’re never without the supplies you need to take care of your pet.
Food and Water
Be sure to bring your dog’s favorite food so his stomach does not get upset. Bring some yummy treats as well for rewards! If you would rather cook for your dog, make the food ahead of time and pack it along with your own belongings. Also, drinking water may differ from your hometown, so when traveling you should bring along as much drinking water as you can and rely on bottled water as a back-up.
Seat Covers and Blankets
Vacationing can be very adventurous and nothing says more fun to a dog than jumping into mud or dirt. Protect your seats with covers and blankets and always carry additional towels and wipes to clean off your car and dog’s paws.
URPOWER 100%Waterproof Dog Seat Cover
- Includes mesh visual window in the center to help your dog get better air circulation and you can see them easily. It also reduces their anxiety.
- The extra storage pockets can store your pets’ food and toys.
- This cover protects your car seat better than other covers because of the 100% waterproof TPU material.
- It is more convenient for your pet to get in or out of car. The design of side flaps also can protect your car door from scratches and hair.
- PVC non-slip soft rubber backing and seat anchors prevent seat cover from sliding around.
- This seat cover is 54″ W x 58″ L.
- Made of high quality PP cotton which gives it a comfortable feeling. It’s also very easy to clean.
Bed and Crate
Bringing your Fido’s favorite blanket and bed will help them feel more comfortable and have their own spot. If your pup’s crate is his den, then bring it along so they can get a good night sleep during the trip.
Click here to see what other accessories you should bring with you on your next vacation!
7 Best pet-Friendly Vacation spots in America
There are a ton of pet-friendly vacation spots in the US that you and your dog can enjoy together. Here are some great locations that your dog can tag along to!
San Diego, California
San Diego is a great place to bring your pup! There are so many fun places that make this a great pet-friendly vacation. And who doesn’t love the beach? One place to visit while there is the Patio on Lamont at Pacific Beach. They have tasty Californian cuisine for you, and home-made dog biscuits for canines! Another place that is recommended for dogs is the dog-friendly terrace at the Pier Café on West Harbor Drive.
Furthermore, your pup will love running all around at Nate’s Point Off-Leash Dog Park at Balboa Park, which is open 24 hours. You can also explore the dunes of Fiesta Island. While you’re at it, book a photoshoot with Feather & Fur Pet Photography and receive the cutest pictures that will make the memories last forever!
Key West, Florida
Enjoy the tropical buzz of Key West! The Key West Dog Beach is small but makes for a very pet-friendly vacation spot. What makes it unique is that your pet is free to play in the waves! You and your pup can bond while enjoying the beautiful, clear water. Plus, if you want to be more adventurous, get right out on the water with Lazy Dog Kayak and enjoy the breathtaking outdoors.
Also, there are many pet-friendly restaurants along the terrace including Nine One Five Bistro. You can enjoy some yummy food while also enjoying the surroundings with your furry best friend. Even better, a lot of people bring their dogs along, so your pup can make some friends!
Next, Seattle, Washington isn’t just dog-friendly but have dog-themed places. When visiting, go to Norm’s Eatery & Ale House that has dotted walls with pooch portraits. Plus, many people bring their canines for even more fun! Another place is Bark Espresso, which allows dogs outside or in their special dog-friendly lounge.
Additionally, Elegant Washington Park Arboretum allows dogs on leashes and the Warren G Magnuson Park has an off-leash area with access to water. A great time to bring your furry friend is during the Fremont Oktoberfest Dogtoberfest, which welcomes pets on leashes on the Sunday of the Oktoberfest festivities.
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
This beautiful area is known for its amazing golf courses, wineries, and water sports. More importantly, there are several places to make your pet-friendly vacation even better, including the waterfront Dog Days Bar & Grill at Osage Beach. What’s unique and great about this place is that they host Canine Cannonball jumping contests each year.
Toward the south in Branson, you will find Elmo and Rosalea Marrs Dog Park, which has agility equipment, picnic tables, and a free space for your pup to run around. Even better, if you want to do some sightseeing without your dog, you can check your pup into Branson Pet Resort!
Sanibel Island, Florida
Many people who have visited this place say that the Coquina Cottage is one of the best doggie resorts. They provide everything to help you enjoy your stay so you don’t have to bring a lot. Sanibel Island is a happy vacation spot for pets and their owners. Gulf side Beach is a great place to bring your dog. It has calm, shallow waters for dogs to run through with a beautiful beach. However, just like all of the local beaches, dogs should be kept on a leash. Additionally, make sure to stop by the Island Paws pet shop for healthy treats and high-quality toys!
Wilmington, North Carolina
One great place to bring your dog while in Wilmington is the Java Dog Coffee House. They serve great coffee, dog treats, and are very dog-friendly inside and out. The George Restaurant on the Riverwalk has delicious Southern dishes where your dogs can join you on the deck. You should also take your dog to the Wilmington Dog Park, which has two acres of room for your pup to run around. Plus, they can be off their leash for even more fun! They know how difficult dog parks can be, which is why they have complete fencing and separate areas for large and small pups.
Finger Lakes Region, New York
The Finger Lakes is a fantastic place to visit with vineyards surrounded by long, narrow bodies of water. This is a wine country, but however, you can take your pup with you while you enjoy a local bottle of wine. Many wineries around this area allow dogs. Just call first to check their policy on dogs. There are also a ton of pet-friendly vacation rentals!